Oversubscription Criteria (see policy above for further details)
1. Looked after children and previously looked after children (evidence required, see note 1)
2. Attendance for worship at St. Stephen’s Church by a parent/guardian (evidence required, see note 2)
3. Children with brothers and sisters in school at the date of the child’s admission
4. Attendance for worship at another Christian church in St. Stephen’s Parish by a parent/guardian (evidence required, see notes 2 and 4)
5. Children or parents who have compelling medical or social needs and who live in St. Stephen’s Parish. (evidence required from a professional person with knowledge of the child’s/parent’s needs e.g. doctor, social worker) This evidence needs to show why the child ought to attend St. Stephen’s rather than another school.
6. Children who live in St. Stephen’s Parish (see note 4)
7. Children who live within the United Benefice of Astley, Tyldesley and Mosley Common boundary (see note 4)
8. All other children
If a tie breaker is required those living nearest to school will be given priority. Distance will be measured in a straight line from the school’s main entrance to the child’s home address as measured by the Local Authority using Wigan Council’s measuring system.
In cases where there are two or more children with the same distance measurement (for example if more than one child lives in a block of flats), where to admit another child would breach the infant class size regulations, a system will be used to randomly pick who will be offered a place. Please contact the school if you would like more information about this.
If we offer the last place available to one of twins (or triplets and so on) we will admit the other twin or triplet too.
Admissions Guidance Notes
Note 1 Previously looked after children are children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order). Applications for previously looked after children must be supported with appropriate evidence i.e. a copy of the adoption order, residence order or special guardianship order.
Note 2 Attendance for 12 or more times for the previous 12 months prior to application. Anyone wanting to offer evidence of a parent/guardian involvement must obtain a signature from their parish clergy/minister/other church on the school’s Supplementary Information Form available from the school.
Note 3 A sibling is defined as a brother or sister, or step-brother and step-sister, half-brother and half-sister, foster brother and foster sister living at the same address as part of the same family unit for whom application is being made. Sibling priority will not be given where the brother/sister or step-brother/step-sister half-brother/half-sister, foster brother/foster sister lives at a different address to the child for whom application is being made. No sibling priority is given to cousins, regardless of their address.
Note 4 Maps of the parish boundaries may be accessed at the school office. A map of the United Benefice is available from the vicar at St Stephen’s church.
Maps of the parish boundaries may be accessed at the school office.